Friday 16 May 2008

My final verdict on the veg box


Well, in the end I made it. Just over a week after picking up my box I used the last vegetables. Apart from a few potatoes which should keep for another few days.

This is the soup I made from the last scrubby remains - and they really were quite scrubby

I can't say it was easy. It took a lot of time and thought. I certainly spent more time in the kitchen than I would otherwise have done.

It didn't provide all the veg I needed. Well, fair enough in a way - it's a difficult season for growers stuck with the tail end of winter and not yet into spring. They weren't to know we would have a sudden heatwave. But it was galling to be eating cabbage when I yearned to eat asparagus. And infuriating not to have any onions.

It wasn't expensive, granted but I could certainly have spent less shopping at my local greengrocer. As it was I still dropped in for fruit and fresh herbs. But - a plus - I did spend less on meat and we certainly ate our 5 a day.

More than anything I think it's a question of the way you like to shop and cook. I like to see what's in the shops then make that a starting point for the next couple of days' eating. Usually, I admit, that process starts with meat so I find it restrictive to have to think how I'm going to use up some rather uninspiring veg instead (it wasn't a particularly good box). If I hadn't worked really hard at it and been determined not to chuck anything out I think I'd have been left with half the contents still on my hands.

Maybe you just have to get into the veg box habit? Or is it easier if you're a veggie? If you've been having one for years do tell me how it works for you. But I'm off to the farmers' market tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Frugal Cook News Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger